- Change sand (if necessary). ** To ensure your filter is functioning properly, sand should be changed every 3-5 years.
- Remove any leaves or debris from the top of your winter cover.
- Remove the water off of your pool cover – we recommend you use a submersible pump or siphon method. Try to ensure the winter cover is dry before removal, as water is very heavy.
- Remove the water bags (in-ground), or winch cord (above-ground), from your cover. Try to ensure any water remaining on the cover does not empty into the pool.
- Clean the winter cover and water bags with a soft brush and water.
- Store your winter cover and water bags – for mesh covers, fold neatly and store in a safe, dry place (away from mice and insects); vinyl covers and water bags should be stored in a covered container with algaecide and water (we recommend rolling your water bags for easy storage).
- Remove the winter plugs from your pool return(s) and your skimmer.
- Remove the Gizzmo from your skimmer (if applicable).
- Remove the foam rope from the main drain line (if applicable).
- Re-install eyeball and lock ring in return(s) of pool.
- Re-install all drain plugs on your filter, pump, chlorinator, Nature II and heater.
- Re-install the pressure switch on your heater.
- Re-install pressure gauge(s) and site glass on your filter. Ensure that they are hand tightened.
** Be careful not to over-tighten or cross-thread plugs or gauge(s).
- Re-connect any plumbing or valves you had disconnected for winterizing your pool equipment and lines.
- Re-install the backwash hose.
- Remove expansion plugs from plumbing lines to salt chlorinator. Re-connect unions and wire leads to the unit.
- Scrub water line(s) around the inside perimeter of your pool, coping and steps, using a pool friendly cleaner such as Vinyl Plus. ** Do NOT use any household cleaners.
- Fill the pool with water – to 3/4 of the way up the skimmer (or just above the middle screw on your faceplate).
- Put skimmer weir and basket back in the skimmer. Put pump basket back into the pump.
- Lubricate all o-rings with silicone lubricant, such as Lube Tube, before re-installing them.
** Do NOT use Vaseline (or any petroleum based products).
- Re-install pool ladder(s) with escutcheons. ** Please make sure you tighten the ladder anchors (in-ground), or screws (above-ground), when you install the ladder(s) for security.
- Re-install diving board and re-connect all slide hardware.
- Turn filter handle to the drain/waste position. Prime pool pump and start. Once the antifreeze has been flushed from the suction lines and equipment (approx. 30 seconds), shut pump off. Turn filter valve to the backwash position then turn pump back on. Backwash for 3 minutes (followed by 30 seconds on rinse, if applicable), turn pump off. Turn to filter position, and turn pump on.
- Check all equipment and pool plumbing for dripping/leaks. Fix drips or leaks if required.
- Vacuum pool if necessary for any sediment on the pool bottom. Backwash pool after vacuuming.
- Allow pool to circulate for 24 hours. If using an opening kit from LA Pool & Spa (recommended), add the MSR and 4LG (full bottles for all I/G pools, ½ bottles for A/G pools 24’R and smaller).
- Bring a water sample into LA Pool & Spa to balance your water, and set-up your weekly maintenance chemical schedule.
Sit back, relax and enjoy your summer…